Thursday, January 6, 2011

Crazy or True

As Faye & Asher were flying to Portland while I stayed behind a few days, my mind did what it always does when we are apart: it fears. My sense of being in control was lost for they were out of my sight, out of this state, and scenarios of disaster and death race through my brain before I can even stop to realize not only are these thoughts irrational, but also improbable. So I must take concerted efforts to curb such mind-wondering that grips me with fear.

Jump ahead a week: I joined Faye & Asher in Portland and we decided to get out of the house and take a hike in Forest Park. As we were exiting the car, beginning on the trail we pass a seemingly homeless man and exchange pleasantries. Here are pictures of our nice little stroll through the woods:




As we were approaching the end of our hike, that same homeless man was sitting by a tree. I smiled and gestured a head nod as we strolled by, then he spoke after we passed, saying "God is watching over you, nothing can harm you." We continued walking as I yelled back "thanks" without thinking of anything. As we continued to walk I began to wonder: was this simply a seemingly homeless man, who are sometimes crazy, saying something from his mind that meant nothing really, or are these the words of God? Could it be that God's overflowing love for his children left the heavenly realms for an instant and was verbalized through the voice of this man, exactly what my heart needed to hear? I struggle to push aside the rationalizations of this world where we dismiss heavenly interjections and choose the latter.

1 comment:

Laura said...

I wouldn't be surprised if he was a guardian angel sent to reassure you that day! :)